This is a blog dedicated to my "mindful" life. Each week there will be at least one posting to share about a variety of topics like: books I'm reading, recipes I'm loving, and tips of what I've been working on in my mindfulness practice throughout the week. Perhaps you will find something that might inspire you to live more mindfully. Enjoy!

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Eggstatic about eggplant

I am currently obsessed with eggplant--the veggie and the color. I know, it seems strange. Some people crave a beautiful pair of shoes, but for me (right now) it's all about eggplant.

Up until 2 weeks ago I'd never actually eaten an eggplant. Never. However, in my newly identified eggplant craving I have experimented with an eggplant recipe that was delicious.

Test out this recipe and you may find that you, too, are eggstatic for eggplant.


Eggplant and couscous

Ingredients:

1 eggplant
1/2 cup couscous (whole wheat is better and more delicious)
Olive Oil
1 garlic clove
2 tablespoons slivered almonds
Tumeric (dash or 2)
Chili powder (dash or 2)
2 scallions, chopped
1 carrot, diced finely
3-4 baby bella mushrooms, chopped
2 tbsp raisins
1-2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro

1. Cut the eggplant in half lengthwise and scoop out the "flesh" with a spoon. Chop it up and set aside.

2. Make the couscous by following the instructions on the back of the box.

3. Heat the olive oil in a pan. Add the garlic, almonds, tumeric, chili powder, scallions, carrot, mushrooms and raisins. Cook for 2-3 minutes.

4. Add the eggplant and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Add the cilantro and mix well.

5. Remove from the heat and mix together with the couscous.

6. Serve with a green salad. Tastes delicious!

Be well and show a little gratitude for that eggplant before you take your first bite.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds yummy! I will definitely try the eggplant recipe once they start rolling in from the farm share later this summer (although sans raisins). Silas & Zoe LOVED the baba ghanoush Derek made and froze with our abundant crop of the lovely purple veg last summer :)

    ReplyDelete